Born Leicester, UK
PhD Cambridge (King's College) 1980
Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities (1983)
Corresponding Fellow of the British Academy (2016)
Honorary Fellow, Associazione Internationale di Studi sul Mediterraneo e l'Oriente (Associazione ISMEO), Rome (2017)
Population migration during all periods of prehistory (world-wide); prehistory of Southeast Asia and the Pacific from archaeological, linguistic and biological perspectives; origins of agriculture and resulting cultural, linguistic and biological developments (world-wide); interdisciplinary connections between archaeology, linguistics and human biology. Currently involved in archaeological fieldwork projects in the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam (with Philip Piper, Hsiao-chun Hung and Marc Oxenham).
ARC Discovery Project 2014-2017: Landscape, Resources and Human Migration during the Southeast Asian Neolithic, with Dr Hsiao-chun Hung and Dr Philip Piper.
Available student projects
Although retired, I am willing to advise students who wish to research within the East and Southeast Asian Neolithic, particularly on issues connected with human migration.
Current student projects
PhD students currently supervised:
Vida Kusmartono: Cave archaeology and rainforest occupation in central Kalimantan, Indonesia
Chao Huang: T-sectioned bangles and yazhang blades in China and SE Asia (panel chair Dr Hsiao-chun Hung)
Tuukka Kaikkonen: Plant use in Neolithic Taiwan and southern China (panel chair Dr Hsiao-chun Hung)
- Landscape, resources and human migration during the Southeast Asian Neolithic (Primary Investigator)
- The Archaeological and Biological Foundations of Southeast Asia, 2500 to 1000 BC (Primary Investigator)
- The Creation of Southeast Asian Peoples and Cultures, 3500 BC to AD 500 (Primary Investigator)
- Bronze Age Textiles from Dong Son Coffins in Vietnam (Primary Investigator)
- Understanding the Early Phases of Neolithic Dispersal in the Western Pacific (Secondary Investigator)
- Origins of complex society in South Sulawesi (Secondary Investigator)